This position has been filled.
Summary: American Conservation Experience, a Non-Profit Conservation Corps, in partnership with the National Park Service, at Biscayne National Park (BISC), is seeking ONE Underwater Resources Intern interested in committing 10 weeks in support of the National Park Service. The appointed intern will be exposed to a wide variety of marine resources protected by Biscayne National Park. 95% of the park is submerged, so the intern will focus mainly on underwater archeological sites.
This excellent opportunity is ideal for an enthusiastic young professional who is deeply committed to the preservation of our national parks. Applicants must have strong interest in a career in underwater resources. Strong demonstrated skills necessary for visitor outreach and education.
Start Date: Flexible
End Date: 10 week duration
Duration: A 10 week commitment is required
Location: Biscayne National Park Miami, Florida
Downtown Miami can be seen from Biscayne National Park. Biscayne protects a rare combination of aquamarine waters, emerald islands, and fish-bejeweled coral reefs. The park has evidence of 10,000 years of human history, from pirates and shipwrecks to pineapple farmers and presidents.
Project Partner Website: For more information regardingBiscayne National Park, Submerged Resources or the National Park Service, please visit http://www.nps.gov/bisc/index.htm For more information on the ACE Internship Program, please visit: usaconservation.org
Compensation: $400/week, $640 relocation bonus
AmeriCorps: AmeriCorps: Interns in this position may be eligible for an AmeriCorps Education Award Program (EAP). The EAP opportunity is for a successful term of service with an award to the Corps member upon completing 300 hours of service.
Housing: Park housing at headquarters will be available at no cost to the intern
Position Description: The focus is primarily on underwater archeological sites though its duties will be multifaceted and dynamic. The intern will be expected to conduct interpretation, educating and public outreach in a friendly and professional manner since some of the sites are not accessible to park visitors. Interpretation will be facilitated through physical contact with visitors or social media.
- The intern will also assist with resource management, invasive species control, and documenting/monitoring the archeological site. The intern will be responsible for sharing weekly updates and photos of their experiences on Biscayne’s social media.
- This internship will expose the participant to boating experience, marine science, and scientific diving practices.
- The internship will give a participant three years of the Youth Diving With a Purpose Program experience and will be a recognized leader in that program.
- This internship will further expose the intern to education and outreach, public speaking, scientific diving, and the mission and goals of the National Park Service.
Mentoring: The park supervisor will provide oversight and mentoring for the intern, pair the intern with park resource management staff and other interns, and offer opportunities to interact with visiting scientists. Additionally, the intern will be paired with a mentor from the Submerged Resources Center to handle logistics, be available for questions and concerns, and support the intern remotely.
Qualifications: Applicants must be between the ages of 18-35. Resumes must contain enough information to show that the applicant meets the experience as defined in the Position Description. We are seeking a determined, detail-oriented person who is looking for experience working with the National Park Service.
- Internship is available to US Citizens or permanent residents only.
- Intern must be between the age of 18 and 35.
- Intern must be a certified scuba diver.
- A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record, (documentation to be provided upon request).
- A personal vehicle is required.
- Ability to undergo a federal criminal background check.
- Candidate is anticipated to have recurring access to vulnerable populations during this position.
The interns must be willing to represent ACE and the NPS in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner. Drug users should not consider applying, as ACE reserves the right to require drug testing.
To Apply: Please submit a thoughtful resume and cover letter along with 3 professional references using the APPLY NOW section located on the upper right hand corner of the position listing on our website here:
This position has been filled.
NOTE: Early consideration will be given as applications are received. This position can close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position, please feel free to contact the ACE Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator, Katy Dalrymple, at (385) 249-7215 or email@example.com.