ACE Frequently Asked Questions

I’m over age 35 – can I still serve on an ACE conservation crew or serve in an individual placement in your EPIC program?

Federal agencies such as the National Park Service, US Forest Service and others enlist the help of ACE to complete projects on public lands. The funds used are typically earmarked for youth programming, hence the age requirement of 18-30 years old (up to age 35 for veterans) for most of our positions. 

There are opportunities for individuals over age 30 to volunteer to benefit public lands, for example, the National Park Service (NPS) has a volunteer program. Learn more by visiting the NPS Website

Note: ACE staff positions do not have any age restrictions.

I’m seeking opportunities to volunteer in conservation but do not reside in the US – can I still participate?

The majority of our work is funded by the US federal government, therefore, they have requirements in place where members serving with our corps must be a US citizen or permanent resident. We typically do not have volunteer openings for J1 visa individuals.

Individuals may want to look into Experience International for opportunities

Are there EPIC positions that I can do within the summer months between school?

EPIC offers programs as short as 3 months or up to a year-long depending on the position type. We sometimes have a handful of EPIC positions that fit within a summer season. Many EPIC positions are longer terms based on the level of training and mentorship involved and many recent college graduates participate as an ideal way to launch their career. However, there are positions for those who are still working on their degree. We are always adding new positions to our Apply to EPIC page. We encourage you to check back frequently.

Who do I contact if I have a specific question about a position announcement or to check if my application was received?

If you have specific questions about a position you are interested in or to confirm if your application was received, please contact the recruiter listed under the “To Apply” section of the given position announcement. ACE is happy to answer any questions you may have during the application process. 

Is there a way to stay involved with ACE when I complete my Crew term?

Yes! We have a track available for those who want to develop their stills – we offer Assistant Team Leader positions which are followed up with Crew Leader roles. Many of our ACE staff originally held these positions. 

I served a term with ACE and I need someone to verify my employment (service). Where do I submit my request?

Email our HR team at and include your name, which program (Crew or EPIC) and year of service when possible.

What is your US Citizenship requirement?

ACE has agreements with both federal and non-federal partners. Many of our federally funded agreements require applicants to be a U.S. Citizen (born or naturalized), a U.S. National or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. Examples may include (but are not limited to) positions funded by the PLC Act or AmeriCorps.

For non-federally funded positions, applicants must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident, or be authorized to work in the U.S (i.e. hold an official Employment Authorization Document – EAD).

If you are uncertain of your citizenship eligibility, please contact an ACE representative.


NRCS Member
NRCS Member
NRCS Member
NRCS Member
NRCS Member
NRCS Member
Skip to content